Twitter circle blue small Pinterest circle red small Google + circle red small Facebook circle blue small

Looking to the Future, Caring for the Past


What is a Conservation Area?


An area of notable environmental or historical interest or importance which is protected by law against undesirable changes. Properties in a Conservation Area require planning permission to carry out work such as changing windows, putting up a satellite dish, or altering the look of a structure. There are over 8,000 Conservation Areas in England.


If you live in a Conservation Area and want to make alterations to the exterior of your property, you will most likely need permission from the council.


Alterations may include:

  • inserting/changing windows

  • installing satellite dishes and solar panels

  • adding conservatories and extensions

  • cladding

  • laying paving our building walls

  • cutting down trees

  • demolishing a structure


New structures (new buildings or extensions) will be assessed by the Conservation Officer as to whether the design will enhance and preserve the Conservation Area.


Why Contact an Architect?


A specialist Architect is best placed to advice on what type of work will need permission, and help you obtain Conservation Area Consent if applicable.


If you are looking at a new building or extension, an Architect with experience in this area is better positioned to produce a design that is sympathetic to its surroundings, and therefore, more likely to be granted permission. Christian Randall at Conservation Architects LLP is an RIBA accredited Conservation Achitect with over 20 experience. He lives and works in a Conservation Area and has a good working relationship with the local Conservation Officer.



Further Information


RIBA guide for owners of historic/listed buildings, or those located in a Conservation Area

Historic England - Living in a Conservation Area



Hard hat and blueprints Hands with blueprints and paint samples BB1 BB5 Heartshaped plant BB2 Untitled-21